Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Recordings


Now, a word about the recordings. They're pretty raw. There are no effects on the guitar or the vocals. Not so much as reverb. There are exceptions. My friend Hound Dog made some nice recordings over the years ("Coming Back for More" is my favorite). But the true solo stuff I do, it's usually just been me, some crappy mics and some lousy analog tape gear over the years in some basement somewhere.
Now you may ask yourself, why would I want to work this way? Well, it's not that I want to. If I could, I'd have a kick ass guitar amp with effects pedals and a full keyboard setup and a really nice sound board with cool digital effects and the latest, greatest recording equipment.
The deal is, over the years, I've had to pay bills, put food on the table, braces on the kids' teeth, that sort of thing. I haven't really had money to spend on expensive studio gear. But I have acquired a good Gibson electric guitar, a nice drum kit, some OK mics and my bass gear. This winter I borrowed a nice digital Fostex portable 16-track from Rich, and had a lot of fun with it. I recorded four new songs and new versions of about eight older tunes before the project kinda stalled out.
So, what your hear on ReverbNation are those recordings, plus some stuff from the vault.

No comments:

Post a Comment