Saturday, May 24, 2014

Back to work, and a date with a heart surgeon

By Ted Slowik

"Guess what Mom? I got a date with a heart surgeon!"

No, that's not what I told my mother, but it would have been funny if I did. Actually, my "date" is June 3. That's when I'm having a cardioverter defibrillator and a pacemaker implanted. The surgeon doing the procedure said he's done it more than 10,000 times already!

It's quite routine, apparently, and an outpatient procedure, which means I'll be back at work the next day. The miracles of modern medicine! My ticker will be all tuned up and I'll be good to go.

The hard part has been waiting these past three months for tests to show that I really need the device so insurance will pay for it. During that time I've been under doctor's orders to rest. It's been really difficult because I've felt fine but had to sit out on the sidelines while the world passed me by.

Fortunately that's over with and this week I went back to work. It's been wonderful seeing many good friends again and getting caught up with all that happened during my absence. I came close to feeling a bit overwhelmed at times, but I feel strong enough to cope with whatever comes my way.

Thanks again for all the support. I'm looking forward to getting back to writing about music soon and not having to just do health updates.




No comments:

Post a Comment